Monday, November 5, 2007

Message #36 - Start With A Blank Canvas...And Paint Your Future

"Speed of the Ship is the Speed of the Captain". Don't You Know That "You Are The Captain of Your Success Ship"...What's Your Speed?

Over the years I've noticed that this quote is true, not only with my life but also in the lives of others. If you want to find out where a team, business or any organization is going, just simply take the time to meet the people in charge.

The same is true for each of us as individuals. I can tell you where an individual is going by simply spending some time with them and observing their "speed". I don't want to sound judgemental but a person's actions speaks much louder than their words.

I get asked all the time by younger wrestlers "what do I have to do to become a good wrestler?" I always answer this question the same way by answering with this question, "what are you doing now to become a good wrestler?" The wrestler's answer is almost always the same, "Well I'm not doing anything yet".

Then I ask the "killer" question, "have you ever been to a camp or clinic and been inspired by hearing an accomplished wrestler or athlete tell their success story?" The answer is usually "yes". Then I ask "why haven't you started doing the things that you heard this accomplished person say they did to have greater success?" The answer is usually "I don't know".

This to me is like standing in front of your "success canvas" and putting your paint brush down and leaving all the colors in their containers, and staring at your canvas and wondering why it doesn't change for you. The inspiration has to come from within and be sustained. There can be a catalyst, like a motivation talk, to ignite the inspiration, but is has to be sustained from within.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got. If your not happy with where your at then start with a "blank canvas" and dream and paint...then dream some more and paint...then dream some more and paint...you get the "picture"

No comments: